
So, my ex and I have two daughters together. We broke up last September and things have been not so great. I moved to a city about 2 hours away with the kids because it's the only place where I have any type of support system (when we got together I moved away to be with him and spent 8 years away from my family). He was angry and said that I shouldn't have moved so far, but I didn't have much of a choice.The house we were in was not fit to live in, and it's such a tiny town there was nowhere else for me to rent. Even if it was fit to live in I wouldn't have been able to stay because he refused to leave and said I had to be the one to leave.Again, we lived in the woods basically, no work for me and no public transportation (I don't drive).No support system for me.For the first few months he saw the kids one weekend a month, and I reduced the amount of child support because he was traveling from 2 hours away, I was trying to be as accommodating as possible to make sure he could see the kids. After these few months he decided to move to the city because he could see the kids more and it's fairly easy for him to switch his job to another contractor in the city I'm in. I thought this was great, and the kids were super excited to be able to see him more often.Since he moved he has been consistently late with child support, or paying it in small chunks even though our agreement is in full on the 1st of every month. I was understanding at first because he had just moved and was waiting for his paycheck to start rolling in steadily every week. But after a couple months I had to explain to him that we rely on the money every month at that time, I'm low income so I have to be very careful with my money. He basically said that if I can't afford the kids without it that basically I'm not managing my money properly and I'm not putting the kids first.On top of this we also started having custody issues, he would get the kids every other weekend (he's a 3 minute drive away from me) he would show up Friday past the youngest kids bedtime around 9pm and bring them home at 9am on Sunday, which I thought was just not enough time with them, it doesn't even equal out to 2 weekend a month. When I brought it up to him he says "I have to have a life too", "how am I supposed to date?" or "this is what every other dad does" and also said he needs to home home from work Friday to eat supper, shower etc before coming to get them. Which results in me struggling to keep our 2 year old up 3 hours past her bedtime and her sleep schedule is all messed up.Any time I bring up him spending more time with the kids he accuses me of not wanting them and says that I should have thought about that before I left him. He accuses me of just wanting more time away from them so I can sleep around. At this point I'm just done fighting with him to take them more, I can't make him spend more time with them.He seems to be trying to make up for not spending time with them with buying them gifts constantly. For example, this week he was supposed to pay me child support and said he had no money and it would be late, but then calls my oldest daughter to tell her the great news that he bought her and her sister brand new bicycles and all this other stuff. So I'm left with no child support and they have unnecessary gifts that they obviously think are great even though they are being spoiled. Now my oldest daughter is telling me she doesn't want to live with me anymore, because daddy buys her way more things than I do and daddy is nicer to her (no rules). In her eyes I'm a terrible mom because I have rules and I don't shower them in gifts because I'm more worried about what they need.I'm not sure what to do at this point because every time I bring it up he ends up saying that if I cared about them as much as I say then they would be happier when they are home with me, and he does it because they need to be happy. He said he would rather buy them toys and stuff too because he knows that way I'm not spending the child support on myself.. I have no idea how to parent with someone like this and I feel like everything I'm doing is wrong. I don't want to have to take him to court but I feel like I'm going to have to. Has anyone ever been in this situation? How did you deal with it? Is there something that I'm actually doing wrong that I don't see? Is what I'm asking unreasonable? via /r/Parenting http://bit.ly/2ImYmVc
No comments:
Post a Comment