Wednesday, 24 January 2018

Can parents of daughters help me with a quick activity? I want to teach my son about sexism.


With all the stuff that’s been going on in the media lately, I’ve been paying attention to the messages my son gets about women.I was reading the first book of Diary of a Wimpy Kid to him, and halfway through the book, the kids are supposed to design a robot. “The boys went to the other side of the room while the girls stood around talking. Now that we had all the serious workers in one place, we got to work.” The boys design a robot that does all kinds of useful things. The girls design a robot that gives dating advice and applies lip gloss.I rolled my eyes at the caricature this paints of women, but he is just going to come across this message again and again. I want to teach him that this stuff is everywhere but to think critically and challenge it.Parents of daughters, can you ask your child, if she were to design a robot, what kind of things would it do? If it is a makeup-applying robot, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that, but I want to read him the variety of answers girls come up with. I want the message he comes away with from this to be that girls are just as smart and creative as boys are. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2n6FoIM

No comments:

Post a Comment